Monday, January 12, 2015

ColourPop Haul and Review!

I don't know if it's addiction, obsession, or maybe a little bit of both, but I know I reached a new level when I swatched everything in this haul and was immediately tempted to get online and place another order. Many people haven't heard of ColourPop, and until recently, I hadn't either. As a part-time beauty Instagram stalker, I started noticing there were tons of pictures of their products and soon after that, one of my favorite Youtuber's, LustreLux, started incorporating some of the shadows into her looks and a favorite's video. After all the hype and talk about how odd the texture of their eye-shadows are, I decided to place an order.

Here's some background info about ColourPop:
  • Website: www.colourpop.com
  • They sell eye-shadow singles. They don't make palettes because the texture of the shadow will dry out if it's de-potted. For you Z-Palette girls, sorry bout it.
  • Almost every shadow you order will be glittery UNLESS you order from their recently launched matte collection.
  • They also sell lipstick and lip-liner, or as they call it "lippie stix" and pencils. Every shade of lipstick has a corresponding pencil!
  • EVERY INDIVIDUAL PRODUCT IS $5. Do you hear the choir singing?
  • You only need a $30 minimum for free shipping and if you sign up for the newsletter you get $5 off... aka a free product, so do dis.

To get a well-rounded idea of ColourPop I ordered five eye-shadows and two lippie stix; here's how it went.


Okay can I just say I immediately fell in love with ColourPop before I even opened my products? Do you see that note in the top left corner? That is a handwritten thank you note from ColourPop. Like what? I so appreciate the care and personalization they took from both a business and a consumer standpoint. Those other two cards are details about some of their ingredients. finishes, tips for application, and upkeep of the products. Again, I love them so much for this!!!

SUPER SHOCK SHADOWS:
The biggest hype and reputation for these shadows is the texture; I've heard everything from creamy feeling, to foam, to satiny velvet. My interpretation is that they feel sort of like a cream but almost oilier. I don't want the word "oily" to turn anyone off because they set to a powder and I haven't experienced a creasing problem! Another amazing thing is that despite most of these being intensely glittery, I've experienced NO FALLOUT!

POP ROCKS:


This is the color that inspired my order. I literally checked my shipping confirmation every single day because I couldn't wait to see how this shadow works. They call it a tie-dye shadow because it has several colors speckled together and when you swatch it, they all come together and make a really gorgeous and unique shade. This one has baby pink, blue, lavender, and a ton of glitter. When I swatch it I get this amazing periwinkle sort of duo-chrome looking color that shows all of its depth as you move in different light. It makes me think of the Lizzie McGuire movie when she wears her big custom gown at the end that rips of into pants and crop top. If I had wound up hating every other product in this haul (which I don't) it would have been worth it for this color alone.

KRINKLE:


CALLING ALL MERMAIDS! I'm so happy with this color, it's exactly how I imagined it would be. It can tend to photograph almost like a gunmetal grey but it's actually this beautiful blueish teal duo-chrome glittery color that just makes me think instant mermaid. Easily my second favorite of the bunch.

SLAVE2PINK


No other word to describe this but Barbie. The pictures do no justice. It's a hot pink with undertones of blue and so much glitter that it's hard to think I would buy such a girly color, but it's so BEAUTIFUL! This shade however is where the confusion starts. This one is technically labeled as a pressed pigment; I don't know what the technical difference is but it seems that only the fluorescent shades qualify as pigments. Additionally, in super fine print on the label I noticed that it says "not for eye area" and it's mentioned in the details on the website. What? How do you make a pressed pigment on a site that mainly sells eye-shadows and then they list you shouldn't put it on your eyes? Where am I supposed to put it? They don't include a reason which makes me concerned as to what may happen if I do put it on my eyes, although I seriously doubt it's serious. This color also surprisingly stains! I don't see this negatively, I think it's a perk to its longevity but I wont know until I wear it on my eyes.

SHAMELESS


Unfortunately, Shameless was kind of a bummer for me. Don't get me wrong, it's still a stunning color, but it tends to pull a little different from how it looks in the pot. My camera really struggled to pick this color up accurately, but it's basically a really deep forest green with an almost lime green duo-chrome from the blue and gold glitter that's inside it. What I don't love about it is that I feel like there's almost a black in the background that make this swatch so incredibly dark and make the green aspect almost secondary. I'm going to keep playing with it and see how it looks on a white base but overall, it's not my favorite of the colors.

MEOW


Meow is f***ing right! This was another tie-dye shadow I was stoked to test out. The specks of color include a mix of pinks and greys and when blended together you get an almost indescribable color. It's like a silvery-pinkish-lavendery color. Yeah, fail. But it's beautiful and that's what matters.



At $5 a shadow these really are a steal and a completely unique formula that is worth trying and having in your collection. I've never even been much of a glitter girl and I'm already trying to buy out half of the store! While some of the shadows usually needed about 2 coats to get its full payoff, they are ridiculously pigmented and gorgeous. They have worked best for me as a lid color and I get the strongest effect just using my finger but I plan to try more and more and test out how the blending works. I can't wait to place my next order, ColourPop has a new customer for life.

*OH AND BTW, these are the swatches after three swipes of a makeup wipe!!! UHM, HELLO!!!*



LIPPIE STIX:
I didn't know as much about the lip products before ordering them, which is why I only purchased two. I LOVE that they have a huge range of wearable shades in addition to pastels and crazy colors! I wanted to broaden my collection so I tried something completely different; I got a black, and a purple.


BULLCHIC:

First of all, I love the name. ColourPop has an edgier dialogue and style and I think it's humorous and entertaining! Bullchic is a matte finish black lipstick and I have mixed feelings. I don't own another black lipstick so I don't have much to compare it to but I felt like it could have been a little bit more pigmented. It's still a great color payoff but I need to do about two swipes to get full opaque color. I also don't think this is matte whatsoever. It's not glossy, but it's definitely not matte. Added plus, these lipsticks smell like warm vanilla sugar spray from Bath & Body Works.

GRIND:

I'm really, really pleased with Grind! It's really difficult for me to pull of a purple but it makes me optimistic. I also felt like when I applied it lightly and blotted it, it was a gorgeous violet-magenta and I adored it. However, once again, I don't see how this is a matte. This one applied less shiny than Bullchic but I would say it's a demi-matte at best.


Overall the lip colors are really comfortable and pigmented! I'm SO happy that it's a skinny lipstick, especially since they sell some crazy colors. All the lip crayons and lip markers are on the market and I'm just like, this is why people are intimidated by lip products! Think about it, would you use a paint roller on a coloring book? NO! The skinnier size and the sharp tip make it so easy to apply your lipstick without getting it all over your face or even needing a lip-liner.


*this post was not sponsored (as much as I might wish that it was) and all pictures are my own*

1 comment: