Wednesday, February 11, 2015

John Frieda Colour Refreshing Gloss- Cool Red


If you're a fake redhead like myself, it's no secret that red hair is one of the most difficult hair colors to upkeep. The red dye pigments are bigger than most colors which makes it not only harder to blend but harder to keep it adhered to your hair cuticles. For the past 2 summers I've bleached my hair; the first summer I was blonde and this past summer I was blonde again before going lavender. Unfortunately, this has caused the most damage I've EVER had that still isn't completely fixed, even months later. One of the biggest problems I've had is the bottom half of my hair; all of the bleaching and processing has shredded my hair cuticles (even after haircuts) to the point where they will not reseal. This is my biggest issue when it comes to keeping my hair red.

Almost a week after re-dying my hair, the bottom will fade so badly that if I put my hair on top of my head in a bun, I can see a side by side comparison of the auburn roots and the light brown ends. As a result of the damage of my own making, I've been trying to be extra careful when it comes to taking care of my hair over the last few months, especially since I plan to go lavender again this spring...don't judge me.

A common tip I've seen/read about is color glossing; glosses are supposed to refresh color without damaging your hair like a dye does. Since I keep my hair red and that's already such a difficult color to manage on it's own- never mind my cuticle problem, I was all about trying a gloss out. One of the first search results I found was the John Frieda gloss; I swear I'd walked past this product 1,000 times and never looked at it twice before. Although it retails for about $12 (which is pricey for the drugstore in my opinion) I figured it would be cheaper than going to a salon or trying to find a salon-equivalent product.

I ended up totally hating this stuff- it dried my hair out even WORSE! I definitely would never recommend this to anyone. Not only do you have to use a ton of it which ultimately limits your amount of uses per bottle, but it didn't even leave any color in my hair...just more damage.

The reason why I still wanted to talk about this is because I am open to ALL suggestions! I'm getting so frustrated with the bottom half of my hair that over the course of the next month I'll be amping up my research and trying products until I find a routine that WORKS. I've been looking into cuticle sealers from Sally's Beauty Supply and read some positive reviews about Redken's Shades EQ Hair Color Gloss, so if anyone has a personal testimonial about these or anything else, please let me know! I'll come back and update my blog as I make my discoveries!

*the picture in this post came from google; post was not sponsored and all opinions are my own*

No comments:

Post a Comment