Saturday, January 3, 2015

Flower Brush Up! 4 Piece Brush Set

Whenever I visit a Walmart makeup section, I can't help but get sucked in by all of the good deals! Now that all of the holiday items are being reduced to clearance, I've made no exceptions. I've tested very few items from Drew Barrymore's Flower beauty line, so when I saw all of the holiday sets were 50% off I went straight for the brushes. Three brushes for $10 is a great deal to me, especially when that's roughly what I pay per brush. The set includes a leather brush roll, an eyeshadow brush, a powder brush, and a lip/concealer brush. The brush cost individually is $12.98 for the powder brush, $7.98 for the eyeshadow brush, and $6.98 for the lip/concealer brush.




PROS:
Price point. As I said, $10 for three brushes is amazing. The set was originally $19.99 which isn't bad at all! It also covers all the bases by including a face, eye, and lip brush, which makes it really awesome for gifting or just adding variety to your collection.

Powder Brush: The brush is really soft and comfortable; it's not scratchy like most cheap drugstore brushes. I also really like its design because it doesn't look cheap and its really sturdy. The brush isn't very dense so it worked the best for brushing away eyeshadow fallout on my face.

Eyeshadow Brush: This brush is really soft, really dense, and really large. It can pack on a lot of concentrated color and it covers a lot of space so it's ideal for all over the lid color or quick one shadow looks.

Lip & Concealer Brush: I LOVE this brush! It's really stiff and really pointed which is EXACTLY what I want in my lip brushes. I have others that are way to thick or flimsy and it makes me wonder who even decided that was right for a lip brush! By having a stiff and pointed brush it makes it 1,000 times easier to stay within the lines of your lips with very minimal risk for mistakes. If you think about why people use lip brushes it's almost always for red lipstick or for bright colors and hard to apply lip products; this is why I need brushes that help me with a clean application and the one in this set is perfect!

CONS:
If I had bought this at full price I probably would've returned it. I know $19.99 isn't a lot of money but there are so many other options out there that are way more worth the cost.

Powder Brush:
I love how soft this brush is but it's way too flimsy and the handle is heavier than most. It's not at all dense enough to pick up enough product or apply enough coverage. When I used it with my Makeup Forever HD powder it just flicked a big cloud of powder all over the place and I felt like I wasted more product than I applied.

Eyeshadow Brush: This brush is HUGE. Seriously, if you have small eyes I don't know if you could use it. I've been using it to apply skin-toned shadows all over my eye when I start neutral looks but other than that its use is very limited. You can't get a precise application with it and since I basically have found only one use for it, the cost is again, questionable.

Lip & Concealer Brush: As much as I loved this brush, I have very minor problems with it. As you can probably see in my close up picture, some of the product settled at the base and it's been hard to clean out. Not a huge deal, just noteworthy. Also, even though I love that it's so stiff, this is also partially a con. The stiffness can cause some unevenness in spreading on your lip products so you have to make sure you apply another layer to even out the color.

IS IT WORTH IT?: 
It depends. If you're a beginner or you need a good gift to give someone then yes. Overall the value is great when you buy them in this set at 50% off instead of buying them individually. Were the brushes awful? Not at all! But they aren't amazing and I really prefer Real Techniques brushes if I'm looking for something wallet-friendly. They also marketed this as a 4-piece set by including the leather brush roll as a piece, and I wound up hating the brush roll. It only holds the three brushes in the set and it barely rolls up or ties with the cheap strings you're provided. I definitely wouldn't pay the cost of these brushes individually but if you can find the set on sale it may be worth a try.

*This post wasn't sponsored and pictures are my own*

No comments:

Post a Comment